Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Before and After and a few tips!

BEFORE!
    Poor dilapidated desk!
Was broken and useless,
so I gave it a new life.
The very first thing I do, when I redo a piece of furniture is decide if I am going to use the original hardware or if i am going to replace it.  On this piece, I knew I was going to replace a couple of them.
The new hardware I was going to use, was a different size than the original!
No Problem!
                                                  
                                                                 
                     I used Elmer's natural wood filler to fill the original holes,
    and I let it dry really good!
   I also used the wood filler to
fill the big gouges on the dresser.
I then used a 150 grit sand paper to lightly go over the whole thing!
If I am painting the furniture, I never take it back to the original wood.
If I am going to stain it, and take it back to the original state, I sand it completely.
with me. . .
Old pieces usually have some sticky spots, from stickers to finger nail polish etc.
I make sure these are cleaned off good!
with Goo Gone!
It works GREAT!
I usually start from the bottom of  the furniture,  I turn it upside down and make sure the bottom of the furniture is taken care of first.
I don't mean the underneath of the furniture,
I mean the bottom legs and trim, etc.
Now, as soon as I said that, I am showing you that instead of turning it upside down, I put it up high on a table,
so I could see and reach all the bottom of the desk.

Then when I turn it over to do the top, I don't ruin anything and the bottom looks as good as the top!
Understand. . . .

A few more tips - I finished this with minwax clear satin Polyurethane that is oil base.
Use water base Polyurethane on white or lighter paint, it won't yellow!

AFTER!!!!

Todays Linked to
:Todays Creative Blog

No comments: