Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The stuffed Pepper & LOVE!




The Stuffed Pepper


I have a neighbor, like you do. She is like most people, or was like most people. She had a family, a husband a house, a career. And life went by. Her children grew up and had families of their own. She retired from her job and so did her husband. They were looking forward to the Golden years. You know, spending time together - they were going to travel. About a month after her husband retired, he had a stroke and never fully recovered.. He was in a care center, and now the golden years were not so Golden as she said. Something triggered in her, and she became a HOARDER, yes I said it.


Was it the fear of taking care of herself or being alone, I don’t know, but she could not throw a thing away. Very few people knew, because she didn’t let them in.


I Knew.


I have a very long driveway, but I can see her house out my window. Each day as I look out I see that she is alone. She doesn’t have many visitors. Unlike my house, we are Grand Central Station. She takes her own garbage cans out and mows her own lawn. One day, I made stuffed peppers and I took one to her. She let me in, and I was STUNNED. I had to walk through isles of piled high, to my waist high, of stuff! On occasion, I would take her a plate of food and it was worse each time.


Over the years, she has become more of a loner and she is bitter and she has a bark that scares. I know she likes to read so I invited her to book club. She came, and people were shocked. The book club was hosted by a church group and callings were changed and the book reviews ended. She took it personal and let me have it. She is an election judge, and when I didn’t vote one year, she was mad at me again. I call myself a Christian, but I don’t support our government, “she said.” I stayed away because I didn’t want the wrath of my neighbor – no more food.


A couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday afternoon, we heard the shrill sirens and they stopped at my neighbors. She had left a pan on the stove and the stove was on – a fire. Now, the authorities know she is a Hoarder. For weeks, there have been departments over there, cleaning up. Her head is hung low and my heart breaks.


I serve, by assignment, but I have let a woman in need suffer, because I was scared of her bark. Shame on me. Don’t we know, the ones hardest to love, need it the most.


So I put on my big girl panties, and took a stuffed pepper to her, and we both sobbed.


February and Valentines Day are almost here. The season of LOVE! Everyone knows someone who could use some. Let’s make the world a better place today! Do something for someone!


Do anything, for anyone big or small! It all matters!


I have 2 of these acrylic Love letters, and I don’t need two. Leave a comment, tell me what you did or just say, I did it, and I will share the Love with one of you!


P.S. Did I tell you I Love You!

No comments: